Cloning is a cost-effective method of growing marijuana. This is an easy way of getting many plants that will resemble the mother plant. If you’re considering cloning cannabis for the first time, you’re at the right place. In today’s article, we will provide you with a guide for cloning.
How to take clones from the cannabis plant?
- The most important aspect is to assess if your cannabis is ready to be cloned or not.
- Make sure that you have a clean work-area for cloning. Clones are very sensitive, and freshly cut clones are more prone to microorganisms and dirt. Therefore, it is essential to maintain a clean and healthy environment. Clean and disinfect all the tools that will be required for cloning.
- If you think your plant is ready, then take a cutting. The cutting should be somewhere between 10 cm -20 cm. Cut at a 45-degree angle to the branch. Cutting from this angle will increase the surface area of your rooting space, which will eventually promote faster growth of the clone plants.
- Prevent the formation of air bubbles in the stem. To avoid this, you should immediately place your fresh cutting in a glass of water. Do not make additional incisions before completing this step. Transfer your cuttings directly into water and ensure healthy growth of the clone plant.
- From which part you are cutting also matters and affects the growth of the plant. Always cut from the lower part of the mother plant. Cutting from the lower part supports faster growth of the roots than cutting from the top section.
- Create a proper environment for rooting and photosynthesis to occur.
- To promote rooting from the cutting, you should use rooting helpers, rooting hormone, and other cloning products. Rooting helpers are useful products that will help the clone to establish its roots at a faster rate. They are available in both gel and the powder form. Dip your cuttings into these products to seal the cut off and provide additional support to maintain healthy growth of the clone. Research before choosing the product and read the instructions.
- After cutting and dipping it in the hormone, it’s time to select the rooting medium. There are three main types of mediums used for cloning cannabis. The three options for the rooting medium are:
- Cloning cannabis using Rockwool cubes or a non-soil equivalent
- Cloning cannabis in water
- Cloning cannabis in soil
All three are simple techniques that can be used to clone cannabis. Each of the mediums has its pros and cons. You should place your cutting in a medium of your choice.
- Regardless of the method you choose, you should make sure that the new clones are getting enough light and humidity. You can also place your clones into a mini greenhouse or humidity dome. You can also choose automatic cloners. The auto-cloners will keep a track on all these things. However, it is quite expensive. The perfect temperature for cloning is between 22 to 25 degree Celsius. Therefore, it is essential to keep an eye on the temperature.
- Transplant the clones when they are at least 1.5 inches. Do not transplant until they are this long. Transplanting shock is quite common. Therefore, it is essential to maintain the same level of care and attention during this period. Transplant your clones to larger containers only when you see new vegetative growth on your clones.
Cloning can save your time and money. If executed properly, it will yield the most desirable results. Be prepared to care for your clone.